Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Cinemarati critic Gabriel Shanks interviews critic Acquarello:

... I’m ...[making an]... argument ...[for]... how and why the film works, at least on a personal level. At the same time, I’m also trying to catalogue the films that I do find meaningful because it helps me remember the experience of them. So for me, the most efficient way to accomplish that is by dissecting the film and assembling the facts and detail observations in a kind of more clinical, scientific method application that removes the author’s personality from the equation. I think the approach also helps the readers to decide if it’s a film that will be meaningful for them as well, without insinuating your own personal filters too much into the reading. It’s certainly not a format that suits everyone, but neither is the subject matter.

...And I know it's cliché, but I'm still drawn to films about longing, and quite a few contemporary Asian filmmakers have turned this theme into an art form, most notably Tsai Ming-liang from Taiwan, Park Ki-yong from Korea, and Wong Kar-wai from Hong Kong.